Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Fred's Brick House Cafe (The Big Glen) (A+)

Location
Fred's Brick House Cafe is an odd combination of brick oven pizza, barbecue, sandwiches and live music.  Yeah, you heard that.  Fred's has live, local music almost every single night of the week.  To be honest, I think that is the only think I don't like about the place.  The live music is just too loud to be able to enjoy conversation over beer and pizza.

The Pizza
I ordered the "Big Glen" pizza for obvious reasons.  I mean, I'd have to, right?  This description comes from the online menu:  BIG GLEN - spinach, tomato, onion, gorgonzola, bacon, chicken, creamy garlic.  I read that and thought "yes, if I were a pizza, I would be this one."  The big glen is a white pizza on Fred's great woodfire cooked crust.

The Chicken
Ok, so here's what they do, and this is fucking brilliant.  At Fred's they use shredded chicken, but then the clumps are chopped into smaller pieces.  When I make shredded chicken at home, I just shred the chicken and the meat forms some long strips and I just use that.  Here they make it bite size, which is what everyone should do with pizza toppings.  Who enjoys it when you take a bite of pizza and then half the toppings slide off because you just snagged a big green pepper ring?  The answer is nobody because it's unpleasant and you can actually get burned that way. 

The Sauce and the Taste
This pizza did not have barbecue sauce, but the creamy garlic sauce was tasty and worked very, very well with the gorgonzola and onions and bacon.  This was a very potent and flavorful pizza.  It had all sorts of salty toppings, but I have to say that it didn't end up being too salty for me.  The onions and spinach and broccoli were neutral-to-sweet ingredients that provided good balance.  Also, broccoli has the amazing effect of absorbing flavors.

Overall
One of the best pizzas that I've ever had.  My co-eater, Kiley, ordered a pizza with eggplant that was really fantastic.  I recommend Fred's Brick House Cafe to anyone interested in good pizza.  You can expect more reviews of their other chicken pizzas in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment